Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Non Felted Clog Version 2

Just finished the second version of the not-to-be-felted clog for friend Vera. I think I like this one better. Gotta whip up another one tomorrow so Alex can deliver them Wednesday when he goes to play in her garden.

Learned a few things. Since this is totally knitted on circs, in order to get garter stitch for the nice thick sole you have to alternate knit rounds and purl rounds. The majority of the shaping is every other round so I wanted those shaping rounds to be on a knit round. That meant I had to start with a purl round. The Turkish cast on as I learned it isn't good for purl as a first round, plus, even as knit as a first round, left a non garter "seam".

So I played with it and here's what I did. When doing the Turkish cast on, instead of wrapping the yarn *under* the 2 needles I wrapped it **over** the 2 needles. It gave me a perfect start for a purl round. AND there is absolutely NO distinguishable seam, on either side! I was so pleased!

As I followed the pattern from there I saw that my counts were always right on and the shape of the slipper seemed to be much better defined. Instead of the rolled cuff that just seemed to look sloppy to me, I did 12 rows of 1x1 ribbing and folded it down. I like it alot! Here's a pic with the first one for comparison.



So whadaya think? Anyone interested in this? Wonder what Fiber Trends would think of what I did with their pattern? Hmmm...

Nighty night :o)

2 comments:

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

I love your clogs and how you have made it your own pattern. : )

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in your modifications.

I also own the Fiber Trends felted clog pattern and have made a few pair. However, I'm sure these would work up faster since they don't have to be knit at a huge size. Also, I'd enjoy not having to wait days and days for drying time due to felting.

If you feel like sharing your modifications, I'd sure be interested.

I hope you have a wonderful week!

Shelly
eaglflyt@swbell.net

Lizardknits said...

They're gorgeous. I've knitted a pair of the FT felted ones, but they're so huge and take so long to dry after felting. I ended up giving them away, because I couldn't get them felted small enough to fit. I'd be interested in your non-felted pattern.

Happy Knitting,

Elizabeth
lizard_knits@hotmail.com