Sunday, July 26, 2009

July update

Ok, long past due for an update. Missed June altogether! So, where were we? Oh, I was waiting for yarn to finish the Botanica. It is finished but needs blocking and someone to model it. My manikin is too shaped like me. LOL

Finished the leafy shrug but was totally unhappy with it. Frogged and started a different design. Since this was the 3rd try I didn't take any pictures, didn't tell anyone about it, didn't want to jinx it! Ran out of yarn again and ordered more. Back ordered of course. It is now waiting to be finished.

The problem with having to wait for more yarn is that I start other projects. Can't stand not to be working on something.

Bought an afghan kit I've always wanted and started it. It is waiting now.



Had to make some more hats. Alex calls it a "watch cap with a bill". Another one for Alex, one for my brother Greg and one for nephew Alec.







Then I got all interested in my Ginny doll who needed some decent clothes. I joined 3 Ginny doll groups and designed a nice little version of the famous February Lady Sweater for her. A link to the (free) pattern is in my links list.







Started hunting on eBay for outfits and found one lot of four that I liked. Won them and was very surprised when 4 Ginny dolls came with the clothes! The bride and the one in plaid pants are called "skinny Ginnys" and their clothes don't fit the other Ginnys. The blond with the green sweater and the brunette in the swimming outfit are most like my original Ginnys (which are long gone) and are from the 80s. The 2 larger 10" dolls on the upper left came from a quilt show long ago and are hand made with cloth bodies and soft plastic heads, hands and feet.



Oh yes, my sister Nini needed a birthday present so I made her this. She likes it!



Oh and I started another purple FLS for ME! Got the body joined and put it on hold to start...



this, which was supposed to be a swim cover-up because I started swimming laps again. Anyway the yarn, a cabled Aran cotton from Elan, is just too heavy. So I will finish this to be the jacket it wants to be. Oh yeah, it's crocheted.



So I started another, a "duster" with what I thought was an acrylic mystery yarn that I had a lot of. Turned out to be a different mystery yarn and not acrylic. If I had finished this and thrown it into the washer you would have heard me scream coast to coast! Frogged it and took up a cone of machine knitting yarn in the same gauge and the right color and am happily crocheting away.




So that's where I am right now, beavering away on my blue duster. My goal for the summer in swimming laps is to gain enough strength (build muscle, loose fat) to be able to get out of the pool by myself and not have to use the silly lift chair. See, when they renovated the pool they took out the steps! Now there are only nitches in the wall which is great if you are strong enough to pull yourself straight up. I'm not (yet). I try to do 20 or more laps every other day if life doesn't get in the way. Ok! Back to the duster!!!

1 comment:

Alison said...

My goodness! Look at all that work! Beautiful! And swimming, too--good for you! I miss it. I used to swim every day, and boy do I hear you on the pulling oneself out thing.

Happy hats, happy hats, meantime...and happy heads. Ya done good!

--AlisonH at spindyeknit.com